[Gmsh] Diplaying of Vector fields

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Fri Jun 14 08:21:06 CEST 2013

On 12 Jun 2013, at 23:13, Matthias Lang <Lang_Matthias at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Christophe,
>
> when I select "Aspect->Glyph location = Vertex (instead of Barycenter),
> then some vectors are shown.
>
> Enclosed you can find a small file "js.pos" where the effect can be demonstrated.

Hi Matthias,

Looking at the dataset, the behavior is actually "normal". Here's what happens:

* min/max=1 is correctly computed from the original dataset (all vectors have a norm = 1)

* displaying the values at the nodes does shows all the values (as expected)

* displaying the values at the barycenter of the elements uses average values; due to the nature of the vector field, the average value over one cell is != 1 (due to the rotation), hence the vectors are not displayed

Maybe we should change the test and display the value at the barycenter if any of (or all ?) the nodal values are within the range?

Re-attaching the file so others can provide suggestions...