[Gmsh] Physical region numbering

Dharmendar Reddy dharmareddy84 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 12:40:01 CEST 2013

Hello,
         I am using the gmsh 2.7.1 source code to create a mesh using
GModel. I find that GModel.witeMSH("fileName") writes a mesh where the
physical region numbering:

     $PhysicalNames
     number-of-names
     physical-dimension physical-number "physical-name"
     $EndPhysicalNames

has a physical-number which starts at 0 for each physical dimension.

When i create the same mesh using gui interface to gmsh (2.4.2 and 2.6.1) i
get the physicalNames section with continuous numbering for the physical
regions irrespective of its physical dimension.

Is this an expected behavior ? What should i do to get continuous numbering
when i created the mesh using gmsh library.  I have mesh reader for gmsh
msh file which expects a continuous numbering for the regions.

Thanks
Reddy

Dharmendar Reddy Palle
Graduate Student