[Gmsh] saving Physical entities in -format inp

Geordie McBain gdmcbain at freeshell.org
Tue Jul 16 03:39:02 CEST 2013

Whereas I read on 2 May ('Problem with importing a mesh in Abaqus',
http://www.geuz.org/pipermail/gmsh/2013/008151.html
) that

     "Physical" elements are nicely recognized as Assembly's Sets,
even with their name.

this does not seem to be the case, that rather the ELSETS reflect the
Elementary entities, not the Physical.  This behaviour seems to be
unaffected by the option Mesh.SaveElementTagType=2, which does do the
trick for '-format mesh'
(http://www.geuz.org/pipermail/gmsh/2009/004818.html).

This applies too for the total.geo and total.inp files attached to the
earlier post, but I have also written and attached a simpler example:
a triangle in which two of the sides are in one Physical Line while
the third is in a second.  Then grepping "type" in the .inp file shows
how many ELSETS are created.  I get four: one area (as expected), but
three lines whereas I'd hoped for only two.

Is there a way to get the ELSETS in '-format inp' to reflect the
Physical entities rather than the Elementary?