[Gmsh] Question about parametric nodes and mixed elements

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Fri Sep 27 17:58:57 CEST 2013

On 17 Sep 2013, at 16:12, Michael Scheerer <scheerer at fdy.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

> Dear Prof. Christophe Geuzaine,
>
> I'm Michael Scheerer and we meet us during the last Gmesh workshop. I've a short question about parametric nodes (instead of normal nodes).
> Is there any documentation about? It would be very help full. I've seen, that in available Gmesh importer source code of scientists is only a "not in the spec, not supported" exception, if a msh file contains parametric nodes stuff.

Hi Michael,

There's no documentation yet. Currently the parametric information is stored like this:

node_num x y z entity_id < dimension parameter ... >

If entity_id == 0, no dimension and no parameters are given (there's no parametric info)

If entity_id != 0, the next integer is the dimension of the entity (== the number of parameters that follow), followed by the parameters.

> Another question is about mixed elements. Performance-wise it would be helpful, if we could use non curved elements in cases, that there are nearly no differences between straight looking  curved elements and possible non curved “replacement” elements. Can you verify the statement, that such a replacement is impossible, because of the fact, that if once one element is curved, all other must be curved too, because of a domino effect?

It is indeed, unless we allow non-conformal meshes.

Cheers,

Christophe