[Gmsh] Fwd: STEP to .geo conversion problem

Geordie McBain gdmcbain at freeshell.org
Fri Dec 18 00:50:55 CET 2015

Le 18 déc. 2015 08:46, "Štěpán Roučka" <stepan.roucka at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Dear all,
>
> please, ignore my previous message, I sent it unintentionally...
> I have a problem converting my STEP geometry to .geo for use in gmsh.
Steps to reproduce:
>  - create a cylinder in FreeCAD and save it as a cylinder.step file
>  - load cylinder.step in gmsh, save it as cylinder.geo
>  - load cylinder.geo in gmsh - creating mesh fails with:
> Info    : Meshing 2D...
> Info    : Meshing surface 1 (Ruled surface, MeshAdapt)
> Error   : Unable to recover an edge 1.68237 -1.0812 && 2 -4.89859e-16
(10/10)

> I should note that the following (without saving to .geo) works
>  - load cylinder.step in gmsh and create mesh - OK
> but I would like to define the physical entities via GUI and I need geo
file to save them (if I understand correctly).

> Please, can you advise me how to owercome this problem? I am quite new to
gmsh, so I may be missing something obvious...

Hello. It would be nice to be able to define the Physical entities in
FreeCAD and have them recognized by Gmsh, but I don't know how to do that.
What I do from FreeCAD is export each physical surface as a separate BRep
file and merge them in Gmsh and define the contained volume there.  Not
ideal, but this works.