[Gmsh] Defect in structured mesh with PRISM18 (and HEX27)

Alexander Lindsay adlinds3 at ncsu.edu
Wed Dec 21 16:13:08 CET 2016

Hi,

I am building a second order structured mesh of a cone. The mesh
contains PRISM18 and HEX27 elements. I noticed that when the mesh gets
to a certain size, defects start appearing in the PRISM18 elements. Is
this a bug or is there a way to rectify this? Attached are screenshots
of the overall mesh and of the defect; I've also searched the msh file
to ensure that it isn't simply a defect of the visualization. I've also
attached the geo file from which I create the mesh. I'm using gmsh
version 2.11.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.