[Gmsh] 2d to 3d mesh with same node numbering on the surfaces

Robin Martens r.f.m.martens at student.tue.nl
Tue Oct 10 16:06:59 CEST 2017

Hello,

I have a 2d mesh of a volume made with GMSH. I load it with merge and mesh
it to make it a 3d mesh.
But the numbering of the nodes on the surface will change. I know the
numbering is done inside GMSH but maybe one of you knows a trick.

Hope someone could help me with this.

Kind regards,

Robin Martens

Merge "theVolume.msh"; // loads the 2d mesh of the volume

Surface Loop(1) = {1,2,3,4,5,6};
Volume(1) = {1}; //

Background about this problem:
My goal is to run a fluid solid interaction simulation.

The inner bar substracted from the outerbar will be the fluid mesh.
The inner bar is the solid mesh.

So the innerbar(solid) will move through the outer bar(fluid).

The solid will be described with total lagrange formulation, and the fluid
with euler formulation.
The arbitrary lagrange euler formulation can not be used in my case so I
need to remesh the fluid mesh everytime.

But the nodes on the surface of the solid and fluid mesh need to match,
same number, same location, same amount.
A script will adapt the surface mesh according to the deformation of the
solid. GMSH will then make a new 3d mesh from it for the fluid mesh.