[Gmsh] Issues with OpenCascade

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Thu Oct 26 21:05:04 CEST 2017

Hi Alessandro,

> On 23 Oct 2017, at 12:34, Alessandro Vicini <alessandro.vicini at sitael.com> wrote:
>
> Hullo everybody,
>
> I find the following issues when using OpenCascade:
>
> 1) I start from the geometry of the attached test_00.geo: one cube, with a cubic hole;
> 2) Now if I want to apply a rotation to the inner cube (test_01.geo), I obtain that only the edges are rotated, and the original cube is conserved. This does not happen when the built-in geometry kernel is used (the applied rotation does not modify the surface loops that define the volume);

Indeed. With OpenCASCADE all operations actually create new shapes; for transformations we try to re-bind the new shapes to the old tags when possible - it's not the case here since the old shapes are still used in the volume.

> 3) On the other hand, if I first apply the rotation (test_02.geo) and then define the volume (test_03.geo), the inner surface loop is not recognized as a closed volume.

That's a limitation of the way we currently perform the transformation operations (we do it "shape by shape") : this creates duplicate entities (here lines) on the boundaries. Currently you'll need to apply

  BooleanFragments{ Surface{1:6}; Delete; }

to get rid of them. Then you'll be able to define a closed volume.

Christophe