[Gmsh] Crack plugin - Physical tags

Barrero Bilbao, Alejandro alejandro.barrero-bilbao09 at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Aug 20 18:12:25 CEST 2018

Dear Gmsh Team,

When using the plugin Crack via a script on an existing .msh file, for example:

> gmsh CrackTest.msh Crack.geo -3

as per the attached files, I am encountering the issue that the physical tags defined in the original .msh file are lost after the plugin has run.

In this example, the PhysicalNames block is kept as is throughout:

$PhysicalNames
7
1 5 "bj boundaries"
1 6 "hjX boundaries"
1 7 "hjY boundaries"
2 2 "bedjoints"
2 3 "headjointsX"
2 4 "headjointsY"
3 1 "brck"
$EndPhysicalNames

However, in the updated .msh file all elements have a 0 physical tag (before running Crack.geo they were well defined between 1 and 7):

$Elements
24
1 8 2 0 5 1 2 3
13 16 2 0 23 1 2 7 5 3 12 23 11
24 17 2 0 4 43 44 45 46 30 74 75 31 50 35 38 51 76 52 77 36 78 37 79 80
$EndElements

Is this due to the original "uncracked" surfaces being each replaced by a pair of newly defined surfaces ("crack sides")? Or is it something else that I am missing? How can I consistently keep the physical tags when running this plugin?

Thanks a lot for your help, and kind regards,

Alejandro

PS: Gmsh version 3.0.6 on Windows7