[Gmsh] gmsh extrude problem

Xing LIU Xing.Liu at vub.be
Tue Aug 21 19:06:18 CEST 2018

Hello,

I got a problem with the attached gmsh .geo file about the extrude command.

I'm trying to create a quarter of a tube with prism meshes. I need nonstructural meshes for my simulations. Therefore, firstly I created the charmfering part on the top by rotation. Then I created the curve surface of the tube, and then extruded the curve surface in its normal direction as the same layers and same thickness as the charmfering part.

However, I found the top surface of the extruded tube part was not corresponding to the charmfering part, as shown in the attached screenshots. The two sides are smaller than the charmfering. It seems when extruding the curve surface in the normal direction, gmsh doesn't fully expand it along the radius direction. Could you help me to find a way to ideally connect the charmfering part and the extruded part?

Or is there another way to generate the nonstructural prism meshes in this kind of tube geometry? I prefer prism mesh instead of tetrahedron mesh due to the computation cost.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Best regards,

Xing

--

ir. Xing Liu

PhD student

Vrije Universiteit Brussel

Faculty of Engineering Sciences

Dept. Mechanics of Materials and Constructions (MeMC)