[Gmsh] problem importing stl mesh

blubee blubeeme gurenchan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 06:25:33 CET 2018

Hello gmsh community

I am trying to import a .stl file to create hexahedra or quadrilateral
based mesh to use in dealii simulations.

I created a simple model, attached.

How do I convert from .stl to a quad mesh?

When I click mesh->3D I get this error:
Info    : Meshing 1D...
Info    : Done meshing 1D (6e-06 s)
Info    : Meshing 2D...
Error   : Cannot mesh a discrete face without HXT
Error   : Cannot mesh a discrete face without HXT
Error   : Cannot mesh a discrete face without HXT
Error   : Cannot mesh a discrete face without HXT
Error   : Cannot mesh a discrete face without HXT
Error   : Cannot mesh a discrete face without HXT
Error   : Cannot mesh a discrete face without HXT
Error   : Cannot mesh a discrete face without HXT
Error   : Cannot mesh a discrete face without HXT
Error   : Cannot mesh a discrete face without HXT
Error   : Cannot mesh a discrete face without HXT
Error   : Cannot mesh a discrete face without HXT
Info    : Done meshing 2D (0.001183 s)
Info    : Meshing 3D...
Info    : Done meshing 3D (2.3e-05 s)
Info    : 488 vertices 972 elements
Error   : Mesh generation error summary
Error   :     0 warnings
Error   :    12 errors
Error   : Check the full log for details

How can I create a quad mesh from the attached .stl file?