[Gmsh] Adjacent elements in finite volume formulation

Jeremy Theler jeremy at seamplex.com
Sat Mar 30 10:51:35 CET 2019

Hey Yuri
I asked the same question back in 2011:
http://onelab.info/pipermail/gmsh/2011/006878.html
All I got is a loose reference to Lohner's book:
http://onelab.info/pipermail/gmsh/2011/006881.html
Someone asked it again in 2012 with no response:
http://onelab.info/pipermail/gmsh/2012/007480.html
I went in again in 2013, again with no luck:
http://onelab.info/pipermail/gmsh/2013/008183.html
Something similar came back in 2014:
http://onelab.info/pipermail/gmsh/2014/008808.html
And again FVM:
http://onelab.info/pipermail/gmsh/2014/008908.htmlhttp://onelab.info/pi
permail/gmsh/2014/009237.html
In 2017 I already mentioned that this was unsolved:
http://onelab.info/pipermail/gmsh/2017/011248.html
One more time in 2018:
http://onelab.info/pipermail/gmsh/2018/012120.html

So... is this enough to have something in Gmsh's core?I proposed to add
an optional section like $ElementNeighbour$ or something like this,
listing the tag of the neighbours each elements has (including surface
elements for volumetric elements so boundary conditions in FEM can be
more efficiently written). I have somewhere a tool that reads a .msh
and adds such a section, if somebody is interested I can dig into my
archives and prepare a repository.
I bet the neighbour list can be generated in O(n) inside Gmsh, which
should beat any complex O(n log n) or naive O(n^2) implementention
outside Gmsh.
Regards--jeremy thelerwww.seamplex.com