[Gmsh] Unhandled element 1 at line ... (higher order element issue?) while converting mesh gmshToFoam

sourav.mandal at uliege.be sourav.mandal at uliege.be
Sun Dec 8 19:33:08 CET 2019

Dear all,

I am trying to make a CFD mesh (unstructured) in Gmsh to be used in openFOAM. I use the `gmshToFoam` utility which works, but the problem is I lose all the boundary patches (physical groups) that I assign in Gmsh. I wish to automate the whole process using cli but as the boundary patches are lost when converting to foam, it is not possible anymore.

I read in another forum that this is due to higher order elements, but no solution was provided. My question is -
Is it possible to restrict the formation of elements to 1st order?

I get a list of error which probably points to that all the higher order elements are ignored (consequently openFOAM fails to read the boundary and physical group informations):

"
Unhandled element 1 at line 38931
Unhandled element 1 at line 38932
Unhandled element 1 at line 38933
Unhandled element 1 at line 38934
Unhandled element 1 at line 38935
Unhandled element 1 at line 38936
.
.
.
"

If you know any other ways to circumvent this issue, please intimate as well.
Thanks for your kind attention,

Regards,

Sourav Mandal
Biomechanics Research Unit,