[Gmsh] Meshing constraint in interphase section of RVEs

DILASSER Guillaume Guillaume.DILASSER at cea.fr
Fri Jan 3 15:46:54 CET 2020

Dear Mr. Rohracker,

If I understand correctly your issue, you want to generate meshes of disks with at least 4 elements along the radial direction, from the center to the edge of the disks. There are two ways you could use to control the mesh size inside the disk and enforce your constraint:

1.       The easiest method is to use a Point { id } In Surface { id } ; statement (explained here<http://gmsh.info/doc/texinfo/gmsh.html#Miscellaneous-mesh-commands> in the documentation). You can use this statement to insert the center point of the circle inside the mesh of the disk. If you set different mesh size for the center point and for the points on the disk edge, then you will have a radial gradient in mesh element sizes.

2.       If you want to have more control on the distribution of the mesh size, you might want to use fields (explained here<http://gmsh.info/doc/texinfo/gmsh.html#Specifying-mesh-element-sizes> in the documentation). Fields are more tricky to setup but I am more certain that they can help you to have always exactly 4 elements along the disk radius. Have a look at Gmsh tutorial n°10<http://gmsh.info/doc/texinfo/gmsh.html#t10_002egeo> for an example on how to setup fields.

Let me know if this helped or if you have other questions.

Sincerely Yours,

Guillaume Dilasser