[Gmsh] Structured surface meshes and export to XYZ or structured CGNS

Guillaume Florent florentsailing at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 10:59:56 CET 2020

Hello,

This is my first message on the mailing list, so please apologize any
wandering off the Gmsh community culture ...

I want to create a structured/block-structured (obviously quads) surface
mesh and export it to either Plot3D XYZ format or to CGNS structured
format to use it as an input for another hyperbolic mesher.

Starting with a simple cube, I realized that:

- I could not find an exporter to Plot3D XYZ format (I yet have to see
if the P3D export format can be converted to XYZ)

- even for a simple transfinite surface mesh on a cube face, I get an
unstructured CGNS mesh when exported ('Unstructured' is in plain text in
the exported file and the hyperbolic mesher complains about that since
it expects a structured mesh).

Am I missing something or hitting a Gmsh limit?

Best regards,

Guillaume Florent (Yacht Design + Engineering)