[Gmsh] Adding a physical surface (on which the load will be applied) to an existing volume.

Vincent Libertiaux vincent.libertiaux at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 12:35:20 CET 2020

Hi, gmsh community,

I created a simple case (beam fixed at both extremities) with a distributed
load on a fraction of its upper surface.  I reproduce the short *.geo file:

SetFactory("OpenCASCADE");
Box(1) = {0, 0, 0, 100, 10, 10};
Rectangle(7) = {40,0,0,20,10,0};
Surface{7} In Volume{1};
surfaces[] = Boundary{Volume{1};};
Physical Volume("beam") = {1};
Physical Surface("left") = {surfaces[0]};
Physical Surface("right") = {surfaces[1]};
Physical Surface("load") = {7};

When I try to mesh it, I get the following error:
Error   : PLC Error:  A segment and a facet intersect at point
Error   : Invalid boundary mesh (segment-facet intersection) on surface 7,
intersection (40,4.7255,6.14662e-11)

I think it comes from the fact that I am trying to impose a surface on
another, but I can't find an easy way (rather than defining the geometry
with Points, Lines, ... or determining the nodes on which I'd like to apply
the loading from the msh file).

Could someone please point me the right direction ?

Thanks,

kind regards,

Vincent