[Gmsh] GmshToFoam Error

Nick Barra nb17010 at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Feb 13 16:36:20 CET 2020

Hi,

I am trying to model an aerofoil by creating a hybrid mesh in Gmsh and solving it in OpenFoam. When I try to run the ‘gmshToFoam’ converter I get warnings which are then presented as errors when using checkMesh. I have copied the first few error lines below:

FOAM Warning :
>From function Foam::polyMesh::polyMesh(const Foam::IOobject&, Foam::pointField&&, const cellShapeList&, const faceListList&, const wordList&, const wordList&, const Foam::word&, const Foam::word&, const wordList&, bool)                                                                                                                                                                                                           in file meshes/polyMesh/polyMeshFromShapeMesh.C at line 592                                                                                                                                                        Found 3653 undefined faces in mesh; adding to default patch.                                                                                                                                                   Finding faces of patch 0
Finding faces of patch 1
--> FOAM Warning : Not using gmsh face 4(4 414 446 16) since zero vertex is not on boundary of polyMesh                                                                                                            --> FOAM Warning :
>From function int main(int, char**)
in file gmshToFoam.C at line 1549                                                                                                                                                                                  Could not match gmsh face 4(4 414 446 16) to any of the interior or exterior faces that share the same 0th point                                                                                               --> FOAM Warning : Not using gmsh face 4(414 415 447 446) since zero vertex is not on boundary of polyMesh                                                                                                         --> FOAM Warning :
>From function int main(int, char**)
in file gmshToFoam.C at line 1549                                                                                                                                                                                  Could not match gmsh face 4(414 415 447 446) to any of the interior or exterior faces that share the same 0th point

This error then repeats several times, and then it seems to successfully find faces for the rest of the patches.
The checkMesh error is ‘Unused points found in the mesh, number unused faces:...’

My geometry file is attached to this email.

Kind Regards,
Nick