[Gmsh] gmsh mesh duplication

David Colignon David.Colignon at ulg.ac.be
Mon Aug 1 09:15:22 CEST 2011

On 31/07/11 13:20, David Randall wrote:
> Dear Christophe,
>
> I’ve been using gmsh for a while now, mainly for computational electromagnetics (CEM). It is a great piece of software
> and it has proved to be extremely useful to me.
>
> However, I have found that if I have two closed bodies that share a common face, the 2D surface mesher will mesh that
> face twice and I will end up with duplicate triangles on that face. I have tried playing with all the options available
> to me but I cannot seem to stop this behaviour. Are there any plans to correct this in later versions? This is
> particularly important as often in CEM you will need a meshed face that separates regions of differing material
> properties and duplicate or overlapping triangles are not allowed.
>
> I have attached a small diagram to help explain my problem.

Hi Randal,

are you defining your geometry within Gmsh or do you import step or iges file ?

If Gmsh mesh twice the shared face, it is because this face is defined twice. You will have to delete one of the two
faces and include the remaining face in the definition of the other volume.

Regards,

Dave

--
David Colignon, Ph.D.