[Gmsh] Postprocessing of high-order elements (again)

Christophe Geuzaine cgeuzaine at ulg.ac.be
Tue Nov 25 20:56:21 CET 2008

Martin Vymazal wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'd like to know what is the correct way of displaying a numerical
> solution on mesh consisting of higher-order elements. I used a sample code
> from the manual (see file attached to this email), but I'm wondering about
> several things:
>
>   - First of all, is it possible to make the faces of the triangle curved?
>
>   - Second, why isn't the solution plotted so that it covers the whole area
>  of the triangle? It looks like the mid-nodes are 'misplaced'.
>
>  - I read somewhere that there's a way to define coefficients of shape
> functions that are used to interpolate the solution. Does anyone know how
> to do this?
>
>  Finally, I'd appreciate any advice/trick from Gmsh users that could help
> me plot my results in a true 'high order' manner.

Hi Martin - The high-order post-processing features is at the moment
still limited to the old .pos format. (These features are actually
undocumented ; you will find some info in the list archives.)

We are working on a rewrite that will make the same features available
with the .msh format. This will be available at some point in 2009.